Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thank you, Dr. Brain


So I had a major meltdown at 2am last night. It's like the whole day was working up towards this breakdown. I was having a hard time at work and when I got home (see last post) and then it just kept getting worse and worse. At 2am (I obviously couldn't sleep) I started hyperventilating and having a panic attack. I didn't know what to do because usually I would call Dr. K, but she is out of town. She didn't mention to me that anyone was covering for her - and why would I want to talk to a strange on-call psychiatrist that I'd never met anyway? (Especally with my phone phobia.) But that's what it came down to folks. I had to talk to someone. To get some sort of help. I was really freaking out. So I gathered up all my gumption and called the answering service and asked to speak to the doctor on call for Dr K. His name was Dr. Brain (not funny at the time, but definitely in retrospect). I immediately got the vibe that he was the typical psychiatrist where appointments were comprised of a session of questions for 15 minutes and then you were booted out the door. He was very abrupt and I was a little intimidated by him. I was kind of surprised that he didn't want to talk things out, but I quickly realized that that wasn't his style. He told me I should take some more Klonopin and then ended the call. So I did take some more Klonopin (yay for drugs!) and it did help calm me down and help me get to sleep.

So thank you Dr. Brain (can you believe that's really his name??? Hee hee) for saving the day, despite your typical psychiatrist detachment attitude.

5 comments:

lisalisa said...

too bad you couldn't find someone more empathetic to your plight. I could have told you to take more meds! I'm glad you were able to calm down, though.

now.is.now said...

I can't believe his name is Dr. Brain! Good job for calling someone when you needed the help, though. SEriously. Hopefully next time it will be someone more willing to talk.

Eating With Others said...

Ok it's good you called but there are other number's out there you can call when it's like that. I think, but I'm sorry you got stuck with that. Happy that the meds worked though.

DaftDragon said...

hey there. sorry you had a freak out, but way to be proactive. just to let you know i've been peaking in at you periodically (wow that sounded creepy but i dunno how else to say it) and it looks like you're on the whole doing better. so congrats.
also, if ur interested or just really bored, i'm starting a new healthy living blog at.

cheers

Katherine said...

hey love! i'm proud of you for reaching out for help but i'm sorry he wasn't much of a "talker". next time know that you can call me anytime you feel like that or just need to vent or calm down or cry or whatever. you know the number. use it. love you!