Monday, September 14, 2009

The Five REAL Stages of Recovery - Therapists Not Allowed

My friend wrote this and it's the realistic stages of recovery and not the therapisty-fluffy textbook steps of recovery. Only one who has been though an ED could know this. It's brilliant. Here it is:

The Five Stages of Recovery
By E G L

Denial:
Me, get better?
Recovery's not for me
Won't do it, don't need it
This isn't my body

Anger:
How could you do this to me?
Gain all this weight---don't you see?
How huge I've gotten in this so called "recovery?"
Fuck this--I'm gonna do my own thing
Will not accept this pain
Don't give a shit if it's selfish
I don't have a thing to gain
In going your way
No--Ed and I are having our say

Bargaining:
Ok, ok, you win
I give up, I give in
I'll lose just a LITTLE weight
Cuz these voices won't abate
Just have a few pounds to lose
Won't you give me this,
allow me to prove--
That I can have a little
here and there
Life and death, a line laid
bare?

Depression:
Oh, I don't care
Don't even dare
To try
I'll just retire to my lair
And merely cry and cry

Acceptance:
This might be the only way
For me to find some grace today
I may be in denial,
depressed or pissed
But I won't give in;
I will not miss
Out on a life of
laughter and love
I want the world to see what
I'm made of.

7 comments:

kristin said...

The five stages of grief as the five real stages of recovery? I can believe it. I agree.

now.is.now said...

In my experience, yes, this seems to be pretty accurate...

I love this!

Just Eat It! said...

Thank you for posting this. I can relate so much.

Eating With Others said...

Thank you for this! I'm in denial most of the time, yesterday I was in the 6th stage! I don't want to get better, it's too hard. I give up.

Today I'm back to, suck it up and follow the meal plan!.

Thanks again for this. It's nice to know other's have come through it. It suck's bing alone and thinking you are the only one.

lisalisa said...

love this!
I may be stuck in bargaining. I don't now. It changes from day to day.
So when are you going on that date?

Suzie Q said...

I love this. I posted a link on my blog because I think it is so true..
it's such a process

Krista said...

Like I said on FB I go through all of these stages in one day sometimes.