Saturday, March 21, 2009

Jodido Pero Contente

I was at an all-day 9am-5pm training today at the Rape Crisis Center.  We spent the whole day talking about -isms (sexism, racism, heterosexism, ableism, etc.).  One of the presenters at one point in the training talked about how even if it is in different ways, all people struggle.  She was Latin and said that when Latins are asked how they are doing, they often reply: jodido pero contente.  According to her, the best translation of this is "effed up but happy."  

Hmmmmm.....

"Effed up but happy."  I like that.  I feel like I'm really effed up right now.  I've felt effed up for most of my life, but it never occurred to me that I could be effed up and happy at the same time.  I've always thought that these two things were mutually exclusive.  I can learn from these Latins!

I want this to be my new motto.

Jodido pero contente.  


[Footnote:  I know very little about Latin culture so I'm basing this post solely on what this Latin presenter said about her own culture.]

6 comments:

Telstaar said...

Thats cool Kara, I like it. I think I use variations. I think you can be one or the other or both. Very cool. I like it xoxo

Anonymous said...

I always think it's funny that in America, people always just say, "fine," "good," or "tired."

I can be in a terrible mood but answer that I'm fine. It's just automatic. It would sort of be interesting to hear what people really thought. Or would it be scary?

K said...

I agree, JB! I always say I'm "okay" regardless of how I'm feeling.

kristin said...

I have felt like that before. It is interesting that those two feelings can go together.

Take care!

your friend, kristin

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start to say, "I'm crazy and life is shit, but I'm OK!" and do the thumbs up sign. How many crazy looks can I get? Ha.

K said...

JB - That would be awesome! I double dare you!