Friday, February 20, 2009

Six More Hours Left...

In six hours I will be 25 years old.  Wow.  I'll be on the downward slope to 30.  Until about a week ago, I was really ashamed that I was going to be 25 and living at home without a sustainable job.  But I have since made peace with it - but I'm still not going to advertise it.  You all voted that I should throw myself a rockin' party so I have obliged.  Maybe not a rockin' party though - just a small get-together.  I sent out invites for my party 2 and a half weeks ago.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I can't decide), my church just announced that it is having an event on tomorrow night too, so I'm not sure how many people are going to ditch my party and go to the church's.  Sigh.  We'll see.   

Here's an update on how things are going:

Job:  Going really well.  I really like working with C, my neighbor with developmental disabilities.  She just turned 23 and is so cute.  However, today was not so good. She conned me into taking her to Chuck E Cheese's when her mom told her not to.  She got in trouble when we got home and C freaked out and threatened to call 911.  Not fun.

Volunteer Training: I'm really glad I'm training to become a rape crisis volunteer.  It is an intense 2 month training.  There are about 15 of us doing the training and we are all women.  We are getting to know each other and building camaraderie.  Woman power!

Therapy: After a rocky session last week, things are back on track.  I had a really good sesh today.  Because Dr. K is not only my therapist but my psychiatrist too, today she changed my sleeping meds from Trazedone (definitely N-O-T working) to Ambien.  Tonight will be my first night on Ambien so we'll see how it goes.  

Dietitary: Despite saying last week that I was never going to see a dietitian ever again, I saw J yesterday.  After the appointment I again decided that I'm never going to see a dietitian again - we'll see how well that holds up since it only lasted a week last time.  It's just so hard because I'm so ashamed.  Talking about it just makes me feel worse.  I hate it.

AND....

I didn't wear sweatpants today.  

I wore khakis.       

10 comments:

Just Eat It! said...

HAPPY (early) BIRTHDAY! :D

I don't know why, but it made me smile to read that you didn't wear sweatpants today. It's also good to hear that your job is going well, albeit it can be a bit difficult at times.

JC said...

25 is a great age!!! :) Try being 29... I'm trying right now. It's been 2 months and it's really hard. *sigh*

I think its so great that you love to help people. You have a gift.

Good luck with your medication change! I understand the troubles with sleeping pills, boy do I ever. Hopefully you will soon find what you need!

JC said...

Oh! And Happy Birthday!! :)

Jackie said...

Hey at least you aren't 26 like me! Happy early birthday honey. Although you are struggling, I think your job is very important. You are a GREAT person and have no reason to feel ashamed about anything. Your kindness and support for everyone speaks volumes honey.

Love you - enjoy your birthday!!!

xoxo

licketysplit said...

Happy early birthday! I hope it's fabulous! :)

Standing in the Rain said...

I totally hear you on the no-job, at home, feeling like a fat failure thing!

Try to enjoy your birthday, have fun, and I hope the sleep meds work for you... not being able to sleep sucks big time!

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

All of you shut up. I'm *32*. I win.

Happy birthday, Kara! It is officially your birthday where you live.

I think 25 will be a good age for you. Lots is going to happen for you, Kara!

PTC said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day, no matter what you do.

I lived at home until I was 30. Well, actually I moved out on my 30th b-day.

Lisa said...

Living at home is "in" now. Recession-chic, m'dear.

And I hope your birthday is wonderful.

Kim said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like things are going well :) Don't knock living at home. I still wish I could sometimes...haha.