Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Weight Solution

Okay, I had an appointment with Dr. K this morning and I told her about the scale meltdown I had yesterday.  In a perfect world, she wants me not to weigh myself ever again.  I flat out told her that that's NEVER happening.  Last time I stopped weighing myself, I gained mucho weight and I was NOT happy.  Here are two solutions that Dr. K suggested.  Both of them include only getting weighed when I see my dietitian:

Solution #1: I only get weighed at the dietitian's and I do a "blind weigh" where I will stand backwards and not know my weight.  J, my dietitian, will monitor my weight and let me know if I go up or down more than 4 pounds.  (This is the option that Dr. K wants me to do if I have to weigh myself at all.)

Solution #2: I only get weighed at my dietitian appointment, but I do it face forward so I know what my weight is.  That way, when I flip out (which is bound to happen), I'll be at my dietitian's so I'll be able to process it.  (This is the option that I want.)   

It really scares me to totally get rid of my scale at home, so with whatever option I choose, I will hide away my scale somewhere else in the house where it isn't as accessible.  

I really want to try not to weigh myself at home - although it's going to be veeeeeeeery hard not to.  99% of the time it just ruins my day.  I don't need that sh-t, you know?  I'm definitely going to start out with Solution #2 and maybe, just maybe I'll want to graduate to Solution #1.  Generally I don't want to see the dietitian, but if I'm going to start only weighing myself with my D then I'm going to want to see her much more often.  Hehe.   


7 comments:

brie said...

I think either of those options sounds much better than what you're doing right now. I know it sounds scary because you'll feel out of control, but you'll still very much be in control if you get weighed at the D's office. Run over your scale, or break it with a hammer. Trust me, I know from experience - both are very gratifying and empowering!!

Anonymous said...

new to your blog, and blogworld in general, but i completely relate to what you wrote.
i had this exact convo today with my dietitian - and it all really sucks. she wants me to do the blind weigh-ins as well, and i am not so sure i am going to get a choice in the matter. ugh!

i wish i knew what it was about knowing that number that has such power over me ... why do i have to know what it is every single day?
it boggles my mind that weighing myself gives me a sense of control.

kristin said...

Those sound like very good ideas. I'm glad that you have those options. I would definitely try to stick with one or go between both or whatever. I think it would really help you to feel better and handle things better.

Take care!

love, kristin

Krista said...

Ok I am a freaking retard and I just realized that you are taking the GRE not your GED!!! I'm glad you've graduated high school!

Anywayyyyyyy... I know I am still the the treatment honeymoon phase or so my T tells me, but I would advise you to just get rid of the damn thing! Has it brought you any happiness at all? I know it sucks and feels scary, but if you want to be truly free it is something you will have to give up.

Wrapped up in Life said...

I think it's great that you have options like these. Either of them are 100 times better than freaking out at home, if you ask me!

Telstaar said...

I think those options are good. I think starting with option 2 and graduating to option 1 is a great way to see how things go. Also if you're building trust in yourself and your D then it will get easier to move to option 1 and trust her with it.

You can do this Kara! I'm so glad you had a talk about it with your therapist. It sucks when weighing ruins your day, it really does. I hope this is the start of some better days for you in regards to flipping out over weight.

*hugs*

PS. I love Brie's idea of getting a hammer and/or running over and destroying your scales!!!

lisalisa said...

would definately start with #2- i really like the idea of being able to proccess with a supportive proffesional. And maybe you could do something creative with your scale. I turned mine into a really cool art project with the help of some cut up magazines and modge podge. Now it says + affirmations to me when i step on it!