Friday, April 3, 2009

Just Sit With It



Okay, I met with Dr. K today and I'm going to try to be negative behavior-free until I see her again on Tuesday.  No bingeing.  No purging.  No cutting.  No pill abuse.  Nadda.  After talking to her today, I'm seeing more and more how when I do these negative behaviors, I'm trying to stop the feelings.  I get really overwhelmed by my feelings.  Anger.  Sadness.  Anxiety.  Pain.  I panic and I feel like I have to do something right away to make them go away.  Hence the negative coping  skills.  I've never learned how to just sit with my feelings.  To actually feel them and be okay.  

So that is my goal for this weekend: sit with my feelings and don't do anything rash.  Just feel them and be okay.  Don't panic.  Deep breath, okay... here we go...   

9 comments:

kristin said...

Good luck! I know you can do it, Kara! Go Kara! Rah rah rah! :)

your friend, kristin

Kim said...

Feelings are scary. But, I think you'll see that you can sit with them and the world will go on spinning and you'll be ok :)

licketysplit said...

This is such a hard one, but you can totally do it!

Zena said...

I am needing this too...I am JUST learning how to live without always turning to my Ed but i was explaining to my T just yesterday how overwhelmed by feelings I am. I hate to admitt it but I have given in the last few days as well...So know you are not alone with this...I will be sitting with my feelings til tuesday as well!!!

good luck to you!!!I will be cheering you on!!!

Love, Z

PTC said...

Good luck!

Just Eat It! said...

I really think deep breathing is the best way to cope with stress. I hope everything goes well for you this weekend. It might be good to make a list of positive coping skills, laminate it, then carry it around with you. :)

That little feelings thing reminded me of the poster that was in one of my therapist's office.

Just Be Real said...

I hear ya Kara. Feelings are truly and unbelievably scary to face! Something we need to face to get healed. I am doing it to during my journey now, so I know the struggle. Blessings and courage to you!

Asherbie said...

Awesome way of putting it. I get that way when I want to shop. Sit on it... I like it...

Truth said...

Are you recovering from Erectile Dysfunction or Emotional Distress? I'm not sure what ED stands for. Can you explain? I've never heard ED used for anything but the first one. Thanks! JC