Friday, May 8, 2009

Thanks, Dr. K!

Dr. K is going to be out of town for all of next week.  I usually go Tuesdays and Fridays, so today was my last appointment with her before her trip.  I told her that I wanted to make a plan for while she's gone.  I'm not super worried, but I want to have something in place in case I happen to have a freak-out.  I told Dr. K that I wanted to plan that I wouldn't weigh myself while she was gone because that is something that I consistently melt down about and I want to try to prevent all things melt down.  I thought she would think that this was a great idea.  But instead she asked me if not weighing myself for 10 days is realistic.  I thought about it for a minute and then truthfully answered that no, it in't that realistic.  I want to go 10 days without weighing myself, but chances are more likely than not that I'm going to break down and do it.  Dr. K said that she doesn't want me to make a goal that isn't realistic because she doesn't want me to beat myself up and hate myself for not accomplishing the goal.  Makes sense.   She said she understood that I wanted to set the goal in order to prevent a freak-out, but that instead of trying to prevent freak-outs, know that I can handle them when they happen.  Isn't that profound?

Instead of trying to prevent freak-outs, know that if they happen that I can handle them.  

I love it.  Because in reality, there are too many types of freak-outs and triggers to prevent all of them.  Instead, knowing that I can handle anything that comes my way is empowering.  

Thanks, Dr. K.   


PS - We decided that if I am going to weigh myself this next week, that I should only weigh myself on a day that I see J, my dietitian, so I can process it with her.  I'm seeing J twice next week because Dr. K is gone.    

5 comments:

kristin said...

That's a pretty great idea! I like the idea of learning to cope with the things that may/will come along. I hope that you can figure out some good coping skills and continue to improve upon them.

Take care!

love, kristin

Lisa said...

My Dr. M gives me similar advice. It doesn't always help in the middle of a freakout to know this, but overall I find it useful.

Krista said...

Sounds like you had a good Ah-ha moment. I hope you have a good freak-out free week.

PTC said...

Good idea, Dr. K! I like her!! :) Sucks that she will be away, but you will be able to handle it. We'll be here in case you have a freak out. Just don't have any though. LOL. Just kidding.

The Thurber's said...

that is a 'god epiphany' ;)
Really, it's amazing what that perspective can do to change your life.