Friday, May 22, 2009

Red Light District



I saw Dr. K today and she gave me a great analogy for bingeing.  We were talking about why I was bingeing so much lately. There are lots of reasons that we talked about, but one reason is that as soon as I have deemed that I have eaten "too much" (which could be as little as one french fry too many), I throw everything out the window and keep eating and eating and eating and eating.  I already ate too much so I might as well binge.  That's what my head thinks.  So Dr. K gave me this great analogy:

If you are driving and you accidently drive through a red light do you think, "Hey I just drove through a red light - I might as well keep driving through all the red lights until I get home!!"  Or, do you think, "Gosh, I just ran through a red light, I should be more careful from now on."  I think most of us would say that we think the second one, not the first one.  

I should think the same way with eating.  If I eat a little more than I feel comfortable with, I shouldn't throw in the towel and start bingeing just like I shouldn't keep running through red lights.  Things aren't that black and white.  

I really like analogies like this so hopefully thinking about red lights will help me not binge.       

10 comments:

Sarah said...

wow, that is really smart. I'm going to use that. xoxo

PTC said...

That's a good one!

Anonymous said...

That's a great analogy. I likes Dr. K!

Krista said...

I like that too and it can apply to almost anything destructive that we do.

Telstaar said...

I really like that one too, I think I will attempt to apply it *shock horror mixed with fear* but oooh, such a good analogy!!!

xoxox

Katherine said...

what a great analogy! i love it!

PTC said...

I got yelled at in the red light district last summer by a "window lady."

kristin said...

That's a GREAT analogy! I hope that it helps you.

Wrapped up in Life said...

LOVE it.

Just Eat It! said...

That's a great analogy. It could apply to other things, also.