Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rant

So I'm just a smidge bitter. Okay, more than a smidge. It's 8am and I am the only person in the office (most people - including me - don't come to work around here until 10am). I had to get up almost two hours early to get here when I could be doing this work from home. I should be at home right now sleeping and waiting for hotline calls, but instead I'm here - alone - at the office. I asked my boss last night if I could take my 3 hour hotline shift from home today since I was all caught up with work and am still recuperating - I didn't think it would be a big deal and I was sure that my boss would give me the okay.... until she DIDN'T! She said that she is "concerned" with how much work I've missed (hello, mucho sicko last week, not vacationing in a tropical paradise) and she wants to talk to me about "some things." Let's just say I'm a touch nervous.... and a touch pissed because she isn't going to even be here for another two hours! To top it all off, because I'm in the office alone, the automated lights keep shutting off every five minutes so I have to flail around for a few seconds to get them to turn back on. Not my idea of a good morning.

Whine. Whine. Whine. Grrrrr. Grrrrr. Grrrrr.

10 comments:

Eating With Others said...

I hate it when they want to "talk". I always go to the worst case senario. I'm sure you'll be ok, they may just be worried about your health.

Good luck

kristin said...

Eek! I really, really hope and pray this meeting is a good one!

Good luck! I'm thinking of you and sending millions of positive vibes!

K said...

Well, it's almost 4pm and my boss hasn't talked to me.... so maybe I'm in the clear?

Anonymous said...

What ended up happening?

K said...

That's the thing - NOTHING happened. I could have easily taken hotline from home and gone in at 11:30 and my day would have been exactly the same. Sigh.

Jenn said...

Hi,

I've been reading your blog for a while and have my 2 cents on this. As a person who has worked in jobs where I spent a large part of the day twiddling my thumbs and yearning for my bed, I can relate. However, I also have to mention that this is not abnormal; this is how the world works. Often you just have to do things that seem unfair, or pointless, because you are an employee and you get paid for your time. From what it sounds like your boss is actually pretty cool; she's let you work 4 days a week and is sympathetic to your situation. She didn't have to do that, she could have found someone who was able to work more hours. Also, coming to work at 10 most days is quite a luxury in itself. In the end she is your boss, she is only expecting you to fulfill the agreement you made when you were hired. I just think you should put what is expected of you in relation to most other day jobs, and you will realize you have little to be bitter about.

Again, I do not mean this to be mean or bitchy, but pointing out what may be an unpopular opinion.

K said...

Thank you for your comment, Emily. I do need to be grateful for what a great boss I do have. Thank you for helping put things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Your boss is a tease!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hope that's a different Emily than the one I know.

K said...

Erin - I have no idea.