Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pilates and Nips: two of my favorite things...


I do pilates with my mom twice a week.  It sucks because even though she is thirty years older than me, she's totally better at it.  Our instructor, J, always has to dumb things down for me - "now if you can't pump your arms up and down, you can just hold it there" or "I'll give your mom the 5 pound weights and you can use the 3 pounders."  I mean, honestly!  Shouldn't a young, athletic 24 year old daughter be stronger than a small-boned mother in her 50s (sorry I gave that up, mom, oops)???  Not so, my friend.  My mom can do more reps, hold the poses longer, and stretch farther than me.   Today, during a particularly hard move on the reformer (see picture), my mom nails it on the first try, while I clumsily collapse and get stuck with my face smashed against the carriage and my legs tangled underneath it (note: no part of your body is ever supposed to be under the carriage).  I don't think I'll ever be as good at pilates as my mom is, but I still enjoy it (even though I make a complete arse out of myself every time) so I'm going to keep doing it!

 On to more important things... I love (or maybe lust after) Nips!  You know, those little hard candies with the caramel on the outside and the chocolate on the inside?  So good.  I had all about forgotten that they existed when I passed by a display of them in the grocery store last week and thought "hmmmm... we had these at the Center and I liked them, maybe I'll buy some..."  So I proceeded to buy two boxes.  About a week later, I bought three more boxes!  And now even though I have plenty of them, they are on sale 10 for 10 so I'm thinking about going back and buying even more.  When I find something I like, I get a little obsessive about making sure I have enough of it in the house.  Can you tell?  :)

That's all for now.  I have an interview tomorrow at a temp agency so I'll let you know how that goes.  

     

4 comments:

KC said...

I've never tried pilates, but I do like yoga. and yay nips! I haven't had them since the Center

The Thurber's said...

Have you ever found a NIA class? I have always wanted to find but no one ever knows what in the world i am talking about!
BTW I LOVE the COFFEE NIPS! HAHAHA

Sadie said...

I'm on wieght watchers and speed walking everyday on my treadmill and I thought that I too should be good at it, not so much. I am panting and gasping after 4 min and practicly have to play mind tricks with myself to stay on for the full 40 min. My mom, yeah, she does the same thing for 60min!!! I am loosing some wieght though. I can say that to you right? :) I just want to be healthy and being the wieght I am isn't. I sure miss you!!! Keep up the pilates!

Tiptoe said...

I am a big Nips fan as well! I think I've tried every single flavor three is. Unfortunately, I have to stop eating them (I tend to chew them), because the last time, I pulled out my entire dental bridge! It's amazing how powerful one little piece of candy can be in pulling out porcelain hardware.