Monday, December 28, 2009

My Christmas "Vacation"

I was really looking forward to to my holiday break this year. I NEEDED a break. I was only able to take four days off work, but I was definitely looking forward to some much needed ME time. That's when I found out that my family booked us tickets to St. Lucia. Sounds good right? Exotic, tropical island in the middle of nowhere, relaxing on the beach, swimming with the dolphins (actually that concept really freaked me out, but anyway it still sounds like paradise)... Part of me was excited to go, but I huge part of me didn't want to go because tropical island + bathing suit + ED = Absolute t-e-r-r-o-r. Plus I would have much rather use my vacation time to relax, do nothing, sleep and watch trashy TV.

Well, I didn't do ANY of those things. Here's now my break really went down:

- Never making it to St. Lucia because American Airlines SUCKS - instead spending two days stuck in the Miami airport until we then decided to just go home. (Note: so that's TWO days of my vacation wasted in an airport).

- Returning home and finding the furnace in my house broken so it was below 35 degrees in there so I had to stay at my parent's house - so much for Me time, sigh.

- My bro hogging the TV to watch endless sports anaylsis shows, and even if I could watch TV, only lame Christmas movies where playing.

- No sleeping in for me - not allowed at my parent's house (along with hooded sweatshirts - don't ask).

- On the last day of my break having to endure a 3 hour party that turned into a 5 hour party, not getting back to my own house until after 11pm (furance is fixed though so yay!), having to unpack and then wake up and go to work early this morning.

My only saving grace is that I only have to go into the office three days this week. Downside: I have 23 hours of after hours work this week - including 6pm-midnight on New Years' Eve. Le Sigh.

I just can't win.

7 comments:

kristin said...

:(

I'm so sorry that your break didn't turn out well at all. Hopefully the new year brings you a fresh start.

Also, I'm glad that you can see some of the faint positives in the whole thing. Hang on to the positives!

Take care. I hope you are well and wish you the best.

Eating With Others said...

Ahh MIA. What a name for an airport. At least is was warm.

K said...

Eating Alone - that's the thing - it WASN'T warm! Miami was cold and cloudy - high of 50 degrees.

brie said...

oh my hell, K, that sounds abysmal! i'm so sorry for your sucky cmas "vacation." blargh.

Krista said...

I am extremely curious to know why no hoodies! Sorry your vaca sucked a bit.

Sarah Johnson said...

oh wow. that royally sucks. so, so, so sorry! but the new year is sure to bring some good and positive and wonderful things your way. heaven knows you deserve it! oh, and the no hooded sweatshirt rule cracks me up. no explanation needed. i think i understand perfectly :) i hardly took mine off in CA!

Tiptoe said...

Sorry your vacation was not as you wanted. At least the holidays are over and it's now a new year. Maybe something to look more forward to.