Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fortune Cookie


My mom, my new roommate, and I went to dinner at P.F. Chang's tonight.  The meal was great (yay for lettuce wraps!), but you can't have a Chinese dinner without fortune cookies.  Although they are always fun to open, I have never really liked the taste of fortune cookies.  The ones at P.F. Chang's are an exception though.  Very yummy.  But more important than taste, is the essential fortune inside.  Here was mine:

To be mature is to accept imperfections.  

Quite profound for a fortune cookie, yes?  This fortune was actually perfect for me tonight because in therapy, Dr. K and I have been talking about how I hold myself to extremely high standards and that that I beat myself up for the tiniest imperfections.  I never considered accepting imperfections to be a characteristic of maturity, but for some reason, that concept gives me hope.  

14 comments:

Krista said...

I adore lettuce wraps from PF Chang's. Also I was listening to the radio in the car today and the Miley Cyrus song climb came on and I was thinking that it too gave a great message. We have so much to learn from that little Disney star don't we? If you've never heard the song google the lyrics cause they are good.

lisalisa said...

I love this fortune!

lisalisa said...

My fortunes always say something dumb, like "now is the time for a career change" or some crap like that.
Did you save the fortune? Maybe put it on your mirror or somewhere else where you will see it :)

K said...

Krista - embarrassingly enough, I have that song by Miley Cyrus on a mix I play in the car. Hehe.

now.is.now said...

One time my brother got a fortune that said "Beware of dark alleys." Who wrote that one?!

Your fortune is much better. I think that must be true in a way. IT has to do with being a lot more reasonable with yourself. I like that.

rachel ramsay said...

I had a friend at CFC that insisted on eating the fortunes that she liked so she could keep it. I don't think it was allowed, but she never got caught. I wonder how that worked out.....

Wrapped up in Life said...

I like that notion...v. encouraging!

kristin said...

That is such a good fortune! I hope that you can grow from it.

Take care.

love, kristin

Anonymous said...

Good fortune & what perfect timing.

Anonymous said...

Rachel -- that's funny. Yeah, I'm sure eating paper is great for you. ;)

I rarely ever get fortune cookies as I don't really eat Chinese food but when I have gotten them, I've saved the really good ones that I liked.

One said "Wisdom is only found in truth" (something like that). For now, I get my wise words from Honest Tea. Ha.

Anonymous said...

Kara, I _knew_ you liked Miley. I just knew it!!!! Hah. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love that fortune. Something that I have been struggling with myself is that I am too hard on myself, and I am way too critical of myself. You don't derseve to beat yourself for every little thing you don't do right--we all makes mistakes, it's only human!
Take care of youself. You don't need to lower your standards, but just don't beat yourself up over every little thing. Take care, Kara!

K said...

JB - Hey, hey, now - I only like a few of her songs... hehe. But you nailed it, ah, you know me so well. :)

Tiptoe said...

Fortune cookie are sometimes weird in that way--they come at a time when you really need to hear something like that.